Tuesday, July 31, 2012

THE BEST ACCESSORY


This piece isn’t about a necklace, a blouse, or even how a silk scarf has impacted my life.  As you begin to read this story you may feel like it strays a bit from my theme, but by the time that you read the last word I hope you see how it all fits together.  

The last two weeks of my life have been an emotional roller-coaster.  I have come to a shocking realization that life can change drastically when one person is missing from your day.  I never knew how many pieces I would find myself picking up from the day I woke up and he was gone.  The night that we parted ways I walked an entire 40 blocks home.  My senses were in such a furry that I don’t remember making out full faces of the people I passed, or recall a single name of a restaurant on Second Avenue.  All I know is that I carried my head low towards the ground while crying and texting my BFF.  It felt like I was stuck in a bad dream that I had no power in changing.  I had to simply ride the dream out until I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock.  In a matter of minutes my life had changed, and I was going to have to begin making many alterations that I still have not sewn together.  I honestly have no clue when this feeling will be stitched back together, but I am learning along the way.  

My first modification was getting lost in the day.  I am taking on everything imaginable.  I am working longer hours, out every night during the weekend with my family of friends, and filling the rest of my days doing things I love that had somehow found themselves fallen off the grid.  Now, hanging out with friends and doing things I love is NEVER a bad thing, but for now they are acting as a distraction.  I think that my friends are truly a blessing to me.  Without this circle I know that I would not be putting one foot in front of the other each day.  For that, I am very grateful for each of them.   

As a second part of my self-given therapy I prescribed myself one afternoon of shopping at H&M on Broadway and 34th street.  Retail therapy is always fun. I made out like a bandit with all of my fabulous finds.  I actually already wore every single combination to the office and out at night over the last two weeks.  It makes a girl feel good!  Every time I left in an outfit I made sure I had one thing with me.  It wasn’t a gold necklace, a spritz of perfume or even a pop of color on my lips.  It was a simple thing.  This item is even something that comes free of charge.  I found that my most important accessory is a smile.  No matter how sad I feel as long as I have a smile on my face I am able to make it through the day.  I am now a firm believer in the saying “Smile and the world smiles back at you.”  Your facial expression sets the tone for your whole body.  Don’t get me wrong, the smile is not going to save you from crying during a time like this.  In fact, I think it is healthy to cry or else your emotions can not leave your body.  However, I am saying that by simply adding a smile to each outfit I wear makes my day a bit brighter, it gives me a sense of confidence that I was losing, and most of all it makes others around me smile back.

Smile and the world will smile back at you.  Next time you experience a breakup, a bad day at work, or something small that simply gets you down try throwing on a smile.  It is the one item in your wardrobe that you don’t have to try on for size, or purchase at a store.  It belongs to you always, and will most certainly never go out of style. 
 
As I continue to ride this roller-coaster I am going to make sure I never leave my apartment without my best summer accessory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment